Win the Evening and Sleep Well
Getting to bed on time is something I have always struggled with. I know that I really need 8 hours of sleep to feel good the next day. Still, knowing I won’t feel 100%, I often stay up later than what I should. For some reason I always feel that by staying up I am gaining some sort of benefit. However, the following day I usually realize this is not the case.
Most of the time when 8pm rolls around I have the intention of sleeping by 9:30pm. I am probably able to do this ~60% of the time, but the other 40% I am up too late. Usually it starts with being a little lazy and procrastinating chores. Then I start chores late or do not accomplish them at all. By the time I need to start getting ready for bed I still have to eat dinner and often times end up watching tv with my wife. Don’t get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with spending time with my wife. It is just important to remember that if I am taking that time from sleep there are consequences.
My morning routine is something that I have not really struggled with much because it is easy to accomplish everything when I am the only one awake. My evening routine though, I am waiting for my wife to get home from work and I have a baby. So often times what I view as being a quick and easy routine can turn into a 2 hour long ordeal. Regardless I do believe that evening routines and good sleep are important. So I just wanted to share what I like to do.
Before we start, keep in mind that I do not accomplish all of these steps every single time, but it is my goal to hit as many as possible.
- No entertainment after 8:30pm. (This includes any pleasure viewing of Netflix, Hulu, Instagram, Facebook, Reddit, etc.)
- Apple Cider Vinegar with Honey. (Helps with night time leg cramps and can make me drowsy. I prefer Braggs.)
- Take an Olly Night Time Gummy. (Amazing gummies to knock you out, forget zzzquil. Find it here.)
- Drink 8oz of water. (So I do not get thirsty during the night, but also hopefully do not have to pee.)
- 5 Minute Journal. (Find the journal here.)
Why I Perform Each Step
If I can do all of these it is usually a miracle, but I call getting 3 a successful evening. Stopping entertainment early usually drives me to reading which calms me down and makes me tired. Even if I am not tired, it always helps to drive me toward doing something more constructive, sometimes that means work or blogging.
The apple cider vinegar with honey and the night time gummy both make me drowsy and prepare me for a good nights sleep. I have tried may other methods including all the other “Quil” products like Nyquil and ZZZquil, but all they do is make me restless and angry. Neither of these two things make me restless, keep me awake, or hinder my sleep in any way. The Olly Night Time gummies have chamomile and melatonin to help you naturally drift toward sleep.
Drinking water helps to keep me from waking up with a dry mouth or throat. The last thing I want to be doing while I am trying to get good rest is wake up and go grab a glass of water. Walking around will not do your sleep any favors.
Last, the 5 minute journal helps me to identify positive things about my day and learn to be grateful where I am in life. Sometimes it is difficult to push for progress while also being satisfied with where you are. Through most of my personal research I have found gratefulness to be the best way to become satisfied living in the moment. My wife often gets on me for always living with my head in the future and not being present in the now. Shes right.
Now that you know how to win the evening, you can read my post on how to win the morning here!
If you enjoyed this post, please share using the buttons below!